South Salem is a hamlet in Lewisboro. The county ranks second for wealthiest counties in New York State and the seventh wealthiest county nationally. In the town center is a post office, the town hall, a library and a recycling center.
The hamlet, the largest in the town of Lewisboro, also enjoys many trappings of suburbia, including well-regarded public schools, an active local recreation department and relative proximity to New York City. It is one of six hamlets in Lewisboro, which also encompasses Goldens Bridge, Waccabuc, Cross River, Lewisboro and Vista.
South Salem itself includes a variety of distinct areas. In the lake communities, residents pay an association fee and have access to Truesdale Lake and Lake Oscaleta, among others. There are also newer subdivisions with large houses and modern amenities, as well as older homes.
The eastern section of town, the hamlets of Vista, Lewisboro Hamlet and South Salem, were all part of a disputed area called The Oblong. The Oblong’s western border was set at 20 miles east of the Hudson River and extended from Long Island Sound to Massachusetts. Connecticut and New York lands within this area changed hands several times before the state border was finally established in 1731. It was disputed for another century. The western section of town, including the Cross River and Goldens Bridge hamlets, was part of Cortlandt Manor, a 1697 land grant to the Van Cortlandt family by King William III. The manor lands were divided in 1732 and farms of 150 to 300 acres were sold or rented to farmers. Many of these properties became part of Lewisboro in 1788 when New York State officially established town boundaries. Waccabuc Hamlet was settled by the Mead family in the 1770’s.
1731 is taken to be the date of the town’s establishment, but the first recorded town meeting is 1747. The saga of the town’s name can be confusing! From 1731 until 1783 the town was known as Salem and included parts of North Salem; 1783 - 1806 it was Lower Salem; 1806 – 1840 folks lived in South Salem.
COFFEE & COMMERCE
Just a short drive to Ridgefield, CT, is Ross' Bread Shoppe and Coffee House. Ross’ Bread has CIA trained bakers and many others on staff. In addition to bread, we also bake croissants, cookies, brownies and savory tarts. We make soups in-house, and sandwiches made with (you guessed it), fresh bread. While people rave about the bread, there are people who just come for the coffee. It’s called Counter Culture and it has a cult following among people who know it. You can’t find Counter Culture just anywhere. Bravo to Ross for getting these beans in the bakery early on.
There are more options in Pound Ridge, Ridgefield or New Canaan.
PARKS & RECREATION
Onatru Farm Park includes walking trails, ball fields and tennis courts, and the Onatru Preserve has a marsh, pond and camping area. Large county parks in or near South Salem include the 4,315-acre Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, offering hiking, lean-to camping and cross-country skiing, and the 1,082-acre Sal J. Prezioso Mountain Lakes Park.
The Katonah-Lewisboro School District serves South Salem with around 3,500 students, includes three elementary schools, a middle and a high school.
According to state data, around 95% of students who entered high school in Katonah-Lewisboro in 2009 met or exceeded state standards for proficiency in English Language Arts four years later, compared with 81% statewide; around 96% did so in math, compared with 84% statewide.
Additional information for the hamlet of South Salem, including public safety, government, and resources, can be found on the town of Lewisboro website.